Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

Roping Dummy

Roping Dummy Practice Heads For Calf Roping And Steer Roping


As a kid, I started swinging a rope early on and was always in roping match with my brothers or anyone else hanging around the house.

I later tried my hand at breakaway roping in youth and high school rodeos but found that I didn't have as much luck roping from a horse as I did on the ground.

When it came to the kids and grand kids, they started the same way, roping a dummy or a bale of hay.

My grand kids loved participating in stick horse rodeos and did pretty good in the dummy roping as well.

Junior Size Steer Roping Practice Set
There are some dummies that come in a little smaller size that would be good for the smallest cowboy and cowgirls.

The one in this picture comes with a smaller horn spread of 11 1/2 inches. It comes as a set that also includes two metal rods that can be used to mount the head to a bale of hay, a sawhorse or a stand that is also available. A kid rope and glove are also included.

By the time kids are as big as my granddaughter in the picture, they will be able to throw a big enough loop to rope the full size calf or steer head.


As you can see this calf head is mounted onto a stand that was most likely welded together by dad.

Full size calf roping and steer roping heads, in my experience, will last a very long time. We have one of each and they are always out in the weather. They are still in fine shape. You can see more of those HERE.

This is a picture of our calf head mounted on a homemade stand.  It sits outside ready for anyone to come by swinging a rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment